State-Level Carbon Pricing Coordinator – Job Description
Citizens’ Climate is a non-profit organization working to solve climate change and empower citizens in our democracy. We have a paid staff of 30 and more than 80,000 supporters and volunteers in more than 400 chapters worldwide advocating for carbon fee and dividend legislation. We are looking to hire a full-time State-Level Carbon Pricing Coordinator to take over from our current part-time coordinator.
Position: State-Level Carbon Pricing Coordinator
Location: US, working from home
Status: Full-time, exempt
Help Citizens’ Climate volunteers effectively engage in supporting state-level efforts to enact carbon pricing, without overly distracting from our federal work.
- Help Citizens’ Climate strengthen alliances with other key players in the climate movement during this work.
- Help enact state-level carbon pricing in order to incentivize adoption of a national carbon fee and dividend system.
- Build awareness and support for carbon pricing as a solution to climate change.
Tasks and Responsibilities
- Work proactively with Citizens’ Climate volunteers to support them as they engage in state-level efforts
- Work with Climate XChange and other partner organizations to help support state-level efforts across the country.
- Identify states with high potential for success with carbon pricing and proactively support nascent efforts in those states.
- Support Citizens’ Climate volunteers in building alliances and coalitions across the political spectrum (as is locally appropriate) around carbon pricing in their state.
- Work to protect Citizens’ Climate’s reputation and relationships throughout this process by ensuring that the primary work by volunteers of engaging at the state level is done under a different or new organization, and not as part of Citizens’ Climate.
- Evaluate potential for Citizens’ Climate to endorse and support state-level efforts and specific bills, and bring appropriate options for final approval to the Executive Director.
- Engage with the media related to state-level efforts as appropriate.
- Direct volunteers to resources that can help them with state-level carbon pricing (e.g. economic studies, polling, messaging, other state efforts, etc.)
- Help volunteers to grow bipartisan support for climate action and carbon pricing in state legislatures, and with local business, faith, and community leaders.
- Oversight of state-level project expenses, and reporting of project expenditures and results to relevant granting foundations.
- Other duties as required
- At least 2 years experience working on climate and/or related policy.
- Ability to travel occasionally.
- Ability to work collaboratively with remote staff and volunteers.
- Creative and analytical thinking with strong problem-solving skills.
- Exceptional attention to accuracy, detail, and deadlines.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Access to computer, internet, and telephone sufficient for communication with staff and volunteers (including video conferencing).
- Experience working with Citizens’ Climate a big plus.
Salary and Benefits
Salary commensurate with experience. Benefits for a full-time position include health insurance (eligibility after a 60-day wait period), dental and vision insurance, and a 401K retirement plan. Two weeks vacation are provided to all first year employees. An additional week of vacation is added after one year of employment with CCE.